Thursday, March 29, 2012

My Melting Heart

In just a couple of weeks, my husband and I will be celebrating the fifth anniversary of our first date.  I'm quite excited...I love milestones!


As I always make my husband a sappy gift for all of our gift giving occasions, I had to find something for this.  It took a while, but I finally figured it out:  melted crayon canvas art.  Melted crayon canvas art has been popping up all over Pinterest lately, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. 

I loved it!  It's simple, inexpensive and looks pretty awesome.

Melting Heart Crayon Art



Supplies:
Wax crayons
Canvas
Hair dryer
Glue (I used Tacky Glue)



Directions:
  1. Figure out your design.  I decided to do a heart (a little more complicated than some other shapes perhaps).  Because my hearts I draw freehand always look drunk, I used a cookie cutter to make a template.  I used a looped piece of tape to stick the heart where I wanted it on the canvas.
  2. I used a box cutter to cut the crayons into small pieces.  I didn't try to make the pieces the same size because I was looking for a less uniformed look.  I then used a small bit of tacky glue and stuck the pieces around the heart template.  I removed the paper heart and let the glue dry overnight.
  3. As you'll notice in picture three, I didn't cover my work area because my table is already covered in paint and glue and stuff, but if you don't have such a crazy table, lay some newspaper down because this part is messy!  I set the hairdryer on high heat, but low power and slowly worked around the heart paying attention to which direction I wanted the wax to drip.  I used the cool setting on my hairdryer to cool the wax before moving on to the next section.
And ta-da!  It's just that easy!

Until next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment